Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wisdom of the Journey

In addition to writing about my own Artist’s Journey, I read about others. I think most artists know about The Art OrderGurney Journey, and Muddy Colors. Two blogs I check just as often that you might not know about are the blogs of Randy Gallegos andSteven Belledin. I enjoy Randy and Steven’s blogs for their practical advice, and to read the exploits of working illustrators. If you don’t already, take a few minutes and check them out.
In one of Randy’s posts he talked about the value of wisdom and strategy as compared to his earlier post on tips and techniques. He brought up the excellent point that illustrators very freely discuss the techniques they use to make art, but do not as often discuss the wisdom of how to handle the business side of being an illustrator.
His post got me thinking about both the technical advice and tidbits of wisdom I’ve received in various portfolio reviews throughout the past three years. As you can see by my numerous posts on technique, I’ve shared quite a bit about what I’ve learned on that front, but just as Randy expressed I’ve talked less about the sage advice I’ve received.
I’ve decided to rectify that, starting now…
Back at Gen Con 2009 I was at a pivotal moment in my art development. My portfolio was completely digital, the majority of the work I had done up to that point was digital, but ever since the first IlluXCon in 2008 I had a strong interest in going traditional. While getting a portfolio review from Randy Gallegos, I explained that I had started doing all my preliminary drawings traditionally, but did the color digitally. I also expressed that I was struggling with digital art, but that since “everyone” else was doing digital, I felt I needed to as well.
Randy then dispensed a little bit of wisdom that changed how I viewed my career and how I viewed art in general. He said, “There is no retirement pension in the illustration field. Do what you love, or do something else. The only reason to put up with all the other hassles of being an illustrator is to get to do exactly what you enjoy most. If you enjoy working on the computer go digital; if you enjoy traditional techniques get out the brushes.”
At first I didn’t realize the value of what Randy had just laid out for me, but as time went on, I kept coming back to his comment again and again. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I liked digital art OK, but I really loved to make physical art. I’ve been drawing my whole life, and by working in the computer I was going against a lifetime of training.
When I started looking around at my favorite artists I realized that they were mostly traditional artists. In my attempt to become what I thought I was “supposed” to be I failed to see that my heroes worked in paint not pixel. I slowly began to work less and less digitally, and more and more traditionally, and my work has been all the better for it.
Randy’s lesson falls right in line with my slogan, “Strange Like Sam Flegal.” Throughout my life I have tried at various times to be “normal,” or follow what others were doing. This has always led me down an unhappy or unproductive road. On the other hand when I followed my core self, and did things my own way, even if that way seemed a little strange, I have always met with happiness and success.
Stay Strange!
Sam Flegal
www.samflegal.com

No comments: